Thursday 30 April 2015

Vancouver: Big bridges, undulating roads, and the great cull

So I parted ways with my family at Atlanta airport to head west. First mishap as a solo traveller occurred within 10 minutes...little can ensue panic more than leaving your passport, boarding cards and travel insurance details in the cubicle of a bathroom in a fairly large airport. Incredibly, they were all still in that same cubicle when I hurtled back and followed a lady in there; she initially didn't comprehend my eagerness to join her.


And with that not so bright omen, I settled into my seat and enjoyed views of snow-capped mountains as the plane flew towards the golden hued skies of the west.


I have been incredibly fortunate to stay with my brilliant cousin David and his partner Uli while I've been based in Vancouver, a marvellous couple who have allowed me free reign of their apartment to prepare for my trip. They have been full of fantastic advice, and have fed me wonderful food, I feel incredibly fortunate to have met them!


I was itching to get out on my bike after nearly three weeks of zero cycling, so I've managed to put in a few good training rides. From pedalling through town and around Stanley park alone, I've learned that Vancouver is not only a bike friendly city (the buses have bike racks on the front bumper, so if you feel a bit tired you can simply rack it and hop on - brilliant!), it is also can create super fit people in a short space of time. How, I hear you ask? Well, it is stupidly hilly that's why. And I'm not talking just long slowly inclining hills, of which they also have plenty. I mean painfully steep, appear-out-of-nowhere, slap-you-in-the-face hills. Hills that give you neck ache when you're peering skywards to try and gauge where the road eventually flattens. The street that I'm staying on, is a prime example of said hill. Like I say, a great training ground for me and my legs.






I've managed to get out of the city for a few rides too. I headed up the sea to sky highway for an out-and-back ride to Squamish. Now that is a brilliant lumpy road, with incredible scenery. The road hugs the coastline, resulting in a stunning collision of rugged mountains and sparkling blue waters. It was resurfaced for the 2010 winter Olympics (being an important infrastructure link to Whistler) so the roads are silky smooth, and made for a great day of riding.



Both Vancouver and Squamish are at sea level. The road climbs and drops between these two places multiple times, so the ride had about 1400m climbing in total.






Cycling back into the city over the Lion's Gate Bridge was spectacular. After a long day in the saddle, to be greeted back with the beautiful cityscape that is Vancouver was enough to make me forget the ache in my legs and the 20km I had left to make it home again.



Lions gate bridge

Looking back towards downtown Vancouver from the Dunsmuir viaduct


I have also taken the opportunity to get kitted up with any bits and bobs I may need for my trip. And that involves shopping. The best kind of shopping. As I drifted through the doors of MEC, I could hear the hallelujah chorus pealing in my ears, and I drifted as though in a dream through rails of outdoor clothing, cycling gloves, sleeping bags, and climbing ropes.


Even after dragging myself back into reality to actually buy some important pieces of kit, this didn't stop me going back several times more...because its worth being TOTALLY sure that I have the right size dry sack with the optimum waterproofing level for my expedition....


I planned a mini trip to Vancouver island with a fully loaded bike just to get a feel for how heavy it is, and to see what sort of pace I can hold with all my gear. So I pedalled my way down to the ferry terminal, and oh dear lord my stuff weighs a ton!!



This two day trip of cycling maximum 100 miles inspired the great cull. So while the Tardis teapot was getting better acquainted with some of his own Canadian cousins, I got down to the painful business of working out what is absolutely necessary, and what can be done without. So beyond the camping gear, cycling gear, and of course, the teapot and teabags, everything was questioned as to its right to remain a part of the expedition.





As for the tea update? Vancouver has been a positive delight in this department. First and foremost, Uli is a big tea drinker, so much so even I could not get through her almighty stash. Secondly, tea is back on the menu at Starbucks. And finally, there are some marvellous little cafes serving some truly wonderful teas, such as Camellias in Burnaby, which has shelf upon shelf of loose leaf teas, rather like a bar with a large selection of spirits.


All in all, Vancouver has been brilliant. A great base for me to get ready for this rather epic adventure. Next stop for me? Well I'm rather hoping it's somewhere East. If it isn't, there could be something wrong here! Over and out.





3 comments: