Monday 10 October 2016

Post-ultra diaries: The edge of the void


My body woke me up at 6am, almost anticipating another day of running...well with six consecutive days done no wonder that's now become a habit...

My mind is tired and foggy as a result of the celebratory beverages consumed, and my stomach feels like a lead weight after eating what felt like half a cow for dinner.

The post-adventure blues haven't quite hit me yet - I'm still savouring that delicious satisfaction that often accompanies the end of a challenge.






This is how I felt, and to an extent, still feeling, upon finishing my rather epic long run around Shropshire last week.

And yet my mind is already tick-ticking, new plans, schemes and adventures are slowly beginning to emerge through the mist that had clouded my now functioning brain - I've been so focused on the run these past few months that I've had little time to think beyond the finish line.

But the finish line has finally arrived, and now I'm standing once again on the edge of the void - the point between completing one challenge and thinking of a fresh one...

However, this post (and hopefully consequent ones!) is about the process after the run, getting from the finish line back to my normal self, and hopefully moving forwards towards more exciting adventures.


Great recovery time spent scribbling and slurping good wine


So the slow process to recovery has started, though I had anticipated feeling a lot 'worse' than I currently do...I feel mentally tired, but my body (although not exactly at peak energy) feels as though, if pushed, it could do more exercise. I won't go that far, but it's quite reassuring to know that this is a genuine possibility.

It's a slow process getting out of bed first thing, my joints are very stiff still, but once I'm up and moving, my legs slowly loosen off and I feel far more human again (I've been spending some time wondering if this is what I will feel like in 50 years time when I attempt to get out of bed?!?!). It's the same with stairs - the first attempt is usually pretty ugly, but after that it's rather like oiling a creaky door, the creak dissipates surprisingly quickly.

One thing I am thankful for, is being able to eat with variety again. My body is craving starchy carbs still, but my tastebuds want fruit, vegetables, spices...the things that I've been depriving myself of throughout the previous week in an attempt to stave off any unwanted and sudden bowel movements...

So it has begun, a fresh start you could say. Next up will be plenty of active recovery - lots of foam rolling, stretching, gentle swims and a fair few visits to Steve's pain cave for post-event massage therapy...I'm looking forward to that as much as visiting the dentist for wisdom tooth removal, no amount of robot wars and ice cream happy place chat will be able to distract from his elbows!





I also need to say some serious thank-yous to a number of people for their efforts and involvement in the run. Without all of these people, I know full well that I would have struggled to reach the start line, let alone the finish line!...

Okay, so I started writing individual paragraphs for people, but I was getting gushy and a bit emotional about it all, so here is a list of everyone I want to thank:

Josh, Flo, Ben, Charl, Pix, Dharmesh, Jo, Mike, Emma, Fae, the Tribal gang, Steve, Dan and the Crossfit SY1 crew, Beth, Sally for the teeshirt, Sarah for the film making, Amy from Shrewsbury Ark, the Peppers, Annie and Adam for hosting me, the Tweet Up gang, to everyone who sponsored this effort, and all the friends who have supported me and accepted that I sometimes, I do crazy things for fun.

But I will do a special mention to my Mum and Dad - they have put up with me for six long months of washing kit, shoe cleaning and fed me a lot of food and encouragement. Dad, you booked the week off work and followed me round pretty much the whole of Shropshire, fed me and put up with my grumblings when I was feeling low - drove me to and from start and finish points, and made the tea. Thank you, I could not have asked for anything more.


Right. Gushy moment over. I'm off to eat some cake.






2 comments: